Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Family and it's Godfather

(Spoiler warning)

Last week I finished watching the "epic crime film directed by Francis Ford Coppola, based on the 1969 novel by Mario Puzo." Yes, as wikipedia says it, I watched the The Epic Godfather trilogy. Personally, I'm not a fan of "old movies", but this was an exception. yes, it was a big exception. After watching the film, The Godfather left me with a deep impression. In fact, I almost cried at the end. (I always "almost cry" after watching watching a sad movie or reading a tragic story, but never really cried") Anyways, as I saw the movie, I watched how a young and innocent man grew into a dreaded mafia, to accomplish one thing in his life - protecting his family.

Michael, who becomes the Godfather, did not want to inherit all the power and responsibility from his father. he did not want blood on his hands. However, as his family became a target from the other families (aka mafias), including his father, Michael was forced to step into the "dirty" business. Surprisingly, a guy who looked so benign and normal, turned out to be a talented mafia. He was cold and merciless. As soon as he took over, he ordered the assassination of the heads of the Five Families, and later on he even kills his own brother who betrayed him. (However, until he becomes very old, he regrets this) All the killings and lying to protect his family. Ironically, his daughter dies at the end by a hit man, who intended to kill Michael.

As I watched Michael, a kind person, turn into a cold and bloody mafia, in order to keep his family members alive, I felt a strong sympathy for him. Why does one have to kill others to protect his family? What kind of a sick joke of fate is this? I, who is still a growing adolescent, learned the heavy responsibility that a "father" has to carry, literally a burden on his back. This made me think about my family. I looked at Don Corleone's family and Michael, then back to my family. How light was my value on my family! compared to Michael, I was blessed not having to worry about the death of my family and all. But I also realized the weakened bond in my family, due to lack of communication and love. There may be many factors, but the point is I realized how when my family is not cursed like Michael's, I ignored the true value and my family and did not even try to appreciate it.

I think that this is a great movie for everyone of every age, especially to our generation who lack the communication and interaction in their families. This movie awakened me in a sense that I learned to really really really appreciate my family, and truly love them. God bless my family, God bless you all and your families.

2 comments:

  1. It is really nice to read your words. As you know, I absolutely agree with you.
    If I have to confess something, it is that I started to watch The Godfather Trilogy by the part III. Sounds illogical, I know it. (ahahaha) but we just had the part III at home. After all, I can tell you that I watched The Trilogy as many times I could and everytime that I watch it again I can learn something more about that. For example: I can understand more the story, the connections, the dialogues, etc.

    Finally, I just tell you a clue. Pay attention to the oranges fruit in every scene where appear. After that, tell me your conclusion.

    José Luis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! Facebook doesn't notifies me for comments here, I almost missed it XD Well I'm glad you liked it. Godfather is a great movie, and I only watched once, but I'm certainly willing to watch it again! And thanks for the tip! I think I remember two or three oranges in the movie :) does it foreshadow someone's death? Well I'll be sure to make another post about Godfather next time!

      Delete